It's a mandatory part of your uniform.
It holds all of your essential table-waiting items.
What is it?
It's your apron!
What is an apron, really?
Hmm...A piece of cloth that acts as many things. For instance,
1) It's supposed to be a "clean barrier" between you and the items you are serving. SO TAKE IT OFF BEFORE YOU HEAD TO THE JOHN!
2) It can sometimes look cute with the rest of your uniform, but does it really? Go on, you can admit it without shame. It's not like YOU designed it!
3) It holds all of your necessary crap.
I am going to let you all in on what is in my crap bag:
- Server book, complete with notepad and previous shift clock-out slips with tips and tip-outs recorded on each [If you are not doing this, do it. It could save your butt in case of an audit!]
- At least 1 pen, but I prefer to have about 3 as a minimum. You know, for all of those that get stolen or run out of ink in the middle of taking an order
- A bunch of straws for when greeting tables
I do keep my tips in one of the pockets of my apron.
Do you compartmentalize?
Pocket 1 = tips
Pocket 2 = shit load of straws
Pocket 3 = server book and pens
I feel that organization is very important!
Now it's your turn. What does your apron look like, and what the heck is in there?!!